Friday, June 25, 2010

Bringing Paris home

Paris. Our trip has become like a dream in my memory. It resembles a story that you only remember parts of, only the good parts (not that there were any bad parts in our fairytale). Maybe it is more like a movie, but it plays in slow motion in my mind. I have been missing Paris lately and wondering how I could bring something of it home to help me hold onto it a little longer.

I cannot recreate the chateau where we stayed, though I wish I could.

I could put on this outfit again, though I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. It really is only Paris worthy.


I miss the country-side, which is impossible to recreate as we live in the city.

I miss the art... definitely cannot recreate that.
I miss the wine that every street cafe brought out to us in jugs.
I miss the pizza cafes and the late night talking with my husband, sister, and her husband.

And oh the colors. I suppose I could try and recreate the colors, but my cute carpenter is hesitant to be bold enough to truly recreate the Paris look and color.

I miss picturesque moments that just kept appearing at ever corner as if they were waiting for us to walk up with our camera.


I cannot recreate the skyline.
Or the quaintness.
But what about the flowers? Flower boxes hung from practically every window. They billowed with vine geraniums and ivy that certainly only grows in Paris.












And so I tried...
I know it's not the same, in fact it is almost a little sad by comparison, but for now it will have to do.

My cute carpenter made these flower boxes for me. You can read about it here. Have a beautiful, flower box filled weekend.

Amy

14 comments:

PAT said...

Beautiful post Amy. I enjoyed all the photos.

Those window boxes are amazing!

Between You and Me said...

I loved the pictures, Amy! And, I love your stories of Paris...one day....one day I'll go. :)

Your window boxes are AAAAAmazing.

-t- said...

The flowers are lovely- - they've grown :)
Today, as I offer thanks, I thank Him for your post... I too reflect on warm moments of the past that bring smiles for today :]

Ruth H. said...

The boxes are beautiful! I know what you mean about those European flowers. We spent a year in Munich, and traveled all over while we were living there. It seemed like everywhere we went during the warmer months, there were boxes cascading with flowers! I've tried to recreate that look myself, without much success. My flowers never overflow the boxes like they do over there. What's the deal with American flowers?

sara said...

Swoon. I've always wanted to go to Paris and this just makes me want to go even more. Lovely photos (and speaking of lovely, those boots are incredible!).

Andrea @ The Dawley Fam said...

Your pictures from Paris look amazing! I would love to go to Paris... maybe someday =) Your flower boxes look great! Hope you have a great day! Andrea @ Life in Dawleywood

Jemsmom said...

Your window boxes are lovely and they will grow and overflow soon! You will have the European thing going on. I miss living in Europe. The house next to ours was the oldest house in our town. It was built in 1782! The woman who lived there (and I swear she had lived there since it was originally built!) had the most gorgeous window boxes. She put everyone to shame. How sweet for your husband to build those and bring a bit of Paris to your home!

Jenn @ CozyCompanion said...

this is gorgeous Amy! ;)
I have been thinking about Paris lately, so much! & I have not been there yet! Nope, but it is pulling at me again and again,... trying to tell me something, and then I stumbled on this today. Very touching! Thanks for sharing, and your window boxes are beautiful and what a sentimental start to bringing Paris home! Life, love, and happiness to you and yours! xx, Jenn

Mrs. Plank said...

I was in Paris for 4 days once. My Paris was much different than yours. I think I like yours better. :)

Janine Claire Robinson said...

Absolutely beautiful! May those flowers make you smile every time you look at them. What an amazing memory to have shares with your hubby.

Judy said...

What a wonderful,romantic trip!! I'm loving the pictures! Also, thanks for stopping by my blog!

Deborah said...

Hi Amy!!
So nice to meet you..
I love your blog and your photos of Paris look stunning..Ive always dreamed of the romance of Paris.
Drop by and visit anytime!!

Deborah \0/

Scooper said...

Well, you have just made this girl absolutely sick with longing and nostalgia for Paris. Everything you wrote and pictured is so, so true. As for the window boxes, I have wanted them for at least 10 years...but have got to figure out how to affordably and creatively attach them to vinyl siding.

Wendy said...

I completely agree with you. There's no way to replicate France. I went to Paris and then to the south of France (Avignon, Arles, Nimes, Nice...and more) about a month ago and I just can't stop thinking about it! I'm already planning my next trip in my mind!! :)

Your pictures are so beautiful. So glad I got to see another glimpse of Paris. :)

Post a Comment