Thursday, June 3, 2010

For the love of...love.

It was 9:30 and they should have gone home to study for exams. But then someone started talking about movies, and then someone said 'Leap Year' was the greatest movie ever, and then someone popped popcorn, and then someone else went to the store and bought candy, and then I said okay and pushed play. What is it about a love story that will quiet a room full of girls? Part of it is certainly the Irish accent of the main character. That's never a bad thing. But it's more than that, I think. It's the surprise of the relationship, and the tenderness of his commitment. It's the realness of his attitude, and the rawness of his emotions. Somehow it all comes together in a scruffy package of dreaminess and they all sat in my family room swooning. Or maybe it was just the accent...we really could have just stopped the movie after he uttered his first words.

What romance these girls desire, and oh how they love a love story! God most certainly wove into their souls a longing to be a part of something that includes a white horse, a pretty dress, and a good man with an accent. Which got me thinking. God doesn't create in us a pure desire that He himself cannot satisfy. He made us girls lovely and captivating and lovers of love as a counterpart to the perfect One who can quench that longing. So I guess what I am trying to say is, we know that God will indeed come back on his white horse, and we know that he gave us a lovely white dress to wear as his bride, and I am now convinced beyond measure that God will also have an Irish accent...and I can't wait to hear him say my name.

Amy

4 comments:

The Starr Family said...

So very beautiful... if only HIS longing was visible to them. You want to fill the girls with the knowledge that He loves them, forgives them, and maintains this intensity daily. Only we can't fill, just present the simple truth and pray for them to reach out for it.

Thanks for sharing!

Jemsmom said...

I agree with you 100%... God must surely have an irish accent! What a beautiful post and what a difference you are making in these young lives. You are definitely a wonderful role model. They are lucky to have you!

HouseMama said...

Irish accent....love it. :)
I haven't seen that movie yet, I'll have to look for it.

Ashley said...

I just stumbled across your blog today and I want to let you know that you touched my heart with this post! It brought a tear to my eye. I have a 4 week old baby girl and I cant wait to share with her how much He loves her and hope that she will find His love much earlier than I did. I bet you are a wonderful mentor for these young girls!

Post a Comment