Monday, February 22, 2010

A long 9 months

Nine months. No, I am not referring to how long I carried my children before giving birth; but rather how long the cute carpenter has been remodeling this bathroom. It has been almost as painful at times as child birth, but don't tell him I said that. I have told you before that my husband does not hire people to do what he can spend months trying to figure out himself, and the room design of our bathroom is one of those things. If you are planning any sort of remodel, I highly recommend you checking out http://www.floorplanner.com/ . The below image is our final design that my husband decided was our best use of space. The site works by entering in the dimensions of the room and then adding and moving what you want into the space. The program is free, and very user friendly with a lot of features. It even allows you to add images of people into the room to get a sense of space, and thank goodness for that because my husband also thinks he is a stand up comedian and he had a field day with that feature.
Here is where the room started...







We gutted the room back in June of last year...




And just this past weekend I sewed the curtains to hang, thus I am calling this room complete.


It is officially my favorite room in the house. It is not a spacious room, and fitting everything we wanted in it and the room not feeling crammed was a challenge.
The first thing I did was buy a dresser. I looked for weeks at salvage stores and finally found one for a great price. My husband ripped off the top of the dresser and we used that as a template for the marble top.

Figuring out how to hang a mirror over the cabinet was also difficult. The cute carpenter spent weeks trying to create a casing to wrap the mirror and also "hold" the sconces. At first I thought it was overkill, but I am pleased with what he created. The man is good with some trim!




One of my least favorite things in the world is picking out tile. I never know what I am doing, and it is very difficult to get a sense of what the finished product is going to look like. I stayed neutral and basic and then added the decorative pieces in the center of the shower for interest.

The tub and fixtures were my husbands deal. "Don't know, don't care, you pick" was all I had to say about that. We bought everything online and saved a lot of money that way. The TV in the bathroom was his idea as well, the man loves him some news in morning while shaving. He built it into the wall nicely and I think it is as "unnoticable" as a tv in the bathroom can be.



There is my black door that used to be white. A few weeks ago I told you I was painting everything in my house black, this was one of those things. The white was lovely, but it didn't pop. I love the black and I really love that door. This is like the door that was in our bathroom in Paris and I loved it.

Teal is my current favorite color, and these walls show that. I fauxed them using a smooth, tinted plaster that is tightly troweled onto the surface. I created the custom color and I could never recreate it even if I tried. My husband says he would never want me to recreate it...he's not sold on the color, but I really like it. There is movement and a hint of a metalic dimension to the walls, but no texture. They are smooth to the touch.


I need you to understand the love I have for this next piece of furniture. This is the best spent money we have used in this remodeling process so far. I told my carpenter husband I wanted a high vanity that would hold all my stuff and this is what he drew me. The upper cabinets open to reveal hidden shelving, and the lower cabinets glide open like spice racks in a kitchen with more hidden shelving. The cabinet is an awesome use of space, and the bar stool was discounted from the same salvage store where I bought the dresser. I have big hair. Big hair requires a lot of equipment and supplies, and my husband gets tired of looking at my equipment all over the counter tops. So he was equally motivated to come up with a solution to this dilemma. How cool is that...there is power inside that cabinet!




More shelving in the bathroom...


There is often dead space in a toilet area, so we framed out the wall to allow for a cabinet to be built behind the toilet. Simple concept, great use of space.


More details...








Still dreaming of Paris...




















I hope you saw something that inspires you. Next time I will show you my closet (also designed by floorplanner.com) if I can get it cleaned up....so don't hold your breath.

Amy

35 comments:

Kirsten Krason said...

It looks amazing! I love the wall color.

Charity said...

Oh, Amy I do love it. I am going to be showing my cute carpenter YOUR cabinet, because I want one too. We have 2 bathroom remodels in our future, but thankfully we do not have the money to start them right now. I say thankfully because we are still exhausted from the last remodeling (kitchen). I love the color of your walls, that is a color I am finding myself drawn to lately, I am looking for velvet in that color to make a headboard out of, no luck so far though. Very typical of my to dream up something I can't find. You guys did such beautiful work, I know you enjoy it.

Cha Cha

Dear Lillie said...

You guys did an extraordinary job. This is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get your sconces? I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!

Kristin said...

Your vanity is a DREAM! What a great place to hide all your "beauty tools" without having to look at them. And your sink fixtures are so great. I love it!

sara said...

Absolutely stunning! Your husband is so talented. I just can't get over this remodel!

Kelly said...

Beautiful! As always:-)

I am headed to that planning website and can't wait to get started space planning. Do you care to share some websites where you have had succees with fixtures? I am so scared to buy things like that online, but yours are gorgeoous and have inspired me!

ChelseaRoss said...

Love the hidden vanity storage!! Such a great idea to contain the ugly cords!!

Design A-Peele said...

absolutely gorgeous bathroom. The organization really inspired me! I use a basket under the sink, but I might add some hooks to the sides. Maybe? We'll see how that works!

Between You and Me said...

love it. He did a wonderful job!!!!!!

Jemsmom said...

Can I move in??? That is fabulous!!! I would lie in the bathtub all day and watch t.v! The casing and sconces around the mirror are fabulous and your own vanity area is just brilliant!!! You two should go into business!

sassy seamstress said...

love the fabric...just perfect! oh, and i am kinda digging the old wallpaper...i didn't remember it being quite so cute.

Velvet and Linen said...

Hi Amy.
You did a fantastic job.
There are so many wonderful ideas in this post.
I love all of your storage ideas! They really help to keep your bathroom looking beautiful at all times. I'm going to have to steal that hair styling cabinet idea!
Thank you for sharing your gorgeous bathroom!

xo
Brooke

Jill said...

It looks like a picture in a magazine. I love the teal walls! Really beautiful!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Amy,
I am beyond impressed! And I truly understand all the hard work that went into the planning and execution for this remodel.

Wouldn't change a thing!!! I love the shower door handle, used either this one or a very similar version for a client last year.

A few observations...your brand of tp is also mine, the teal wall color just happens to be the color of my favoite turtleneck that I am wearing as I type this comment, I too have plenty of hair so the consealed power is so brilliant. I have only one other reference for this. Most would never think of it. And, I have a shower image from a trip to Paris long ago, still in the back of my mind:)

Enjoy your new space!!!
~Rebecca

meredith said...

i am stunned! this is SERIOUSLY AMAZING!! i love the attention to detail and everything is perfect!

Scooper said...

Amy, I saw your sweet comment over at my place and just had to click over and see about the rest of your house tour.

Your bathroom looks like it's from the Ritz...not that I've ever stayed there but I'm just imagining that's what it looks like. Beautiful! I have just spent the last half hour getting updated on the rest of your tour and I am just impressed beyond words. I know it took a long time but still, I can't believe ya'll did it all yourselves. Every detail is beautiful. And you know that every girl in America is wanting that big ol' hair appliance cabinet! Love it.

Carrie Garvin said...

Lovely renovation! A bathroom fit for a king and queen!

Erin Helgerson said...

Hi Amy!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog! From your designing skills, I think you could be an L.A designer too! :)
I love you bathroom! What fun that must be, despite how long it took to finish!
I'm going to check out the rest of your cute blog now!
So nice to meet you! And I can't wait to see you around!
Erin

Marigene said...

That is one of the nicest baths I have seen...stunning! I love the wall color, too.

Miki said...

Wow! I'm in love with your bathtub and the chandelier above it. The whole bathroom is gorgeous - definitely worth the labor pains (giggle)! Miki

Charlotte said...

Wow, just beautiful -- especially luv the storage cabinets for hair products, etc. I've gotta remember that one someday. You and your husband make a terrific design team. Way to go!

Fondly,

Charlotte

Michelle L. John said...

Love this!! I want a chandelier in my bathroom...oh the possibilities! Thanks for sharing:-)

Richella Parham said...

Oh, Amy. Really. I am amazed.

I've had my tongue hanging out throughout this house tour. I'll bet we all want to come to see your house in real life. . . don't you want to have a huge party for bloggers?

I love it all, but that door. The door to the toilette. Oh, my. That is the living end.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Kay said...

That's so beautiful! I love redesigning/redecorating, and I can't wait until I have my own house to do it in. You and your husband really are incredibly talented.

Thanks for stopping by!

kristin fulghum said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! your kids are adorable and i love your snazzy new bathroom. it looks delightful.

Anonymous said...

beautiful. I was wondering where that door went...

Donna said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog...so excited to find yours...love the bathroom!!!!

Becca Bertotti said...

This.is.gorgeous!! Good grief ... your husband is SOOO talented ... I'm envious!! You guys made the most of your space and the custom touches are beautiful. I, too, have big hair and would LOVE the vanity cabs. Your fixtures and lighting are perfect, and I love the wall color !! And, BTW, your hubby's floor plan character sitting on the commode is too funny ... lol !! Take care, Becca

ClassiclyAmber said...

How absolutely beautiful!! I am in love with your bathroom. Hope you don't mind. I love all the details~! And I am wanting to cross off chandelier sconces from my To Do list for our master bath, too! [the electrician never installed them when we built our home...so they are still sitting, brand new, in boxes. augh!]

Alyssa said...

I came across your blog randomly and saw that you were doing a home tour. I LOVE it! We are seriously thinking about either remodeling our current house or buying a bigger total remodel. This is such awesome motivation to get started! Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Wow- Wow- Wow!!! You live there? That is amazing!! I love all the details and thought behind each area! What a great carpenter you have! :)

Glidewell Family said...

Thank you for sharing your home with us on Better After. We have a home in MI. that isn't selling so this summer we plan on remodeling the bathroom. Plus the Mission organization that we severe with is in the process of replacing the trailer homes we live in with real stick homes Woo Hoo! Anyways we are the next family to get a home and they've asked us to help with the floor plans. I love everything about your bathroom and would love to use some of your ideas. And if you and your Husband are ever looking for a mission trip to help with any of these homes they are building we would love to have you come to McNeal, AZ. and help with our building projects.
Ace & Ang Glidewell serving with New Tribes Mission.
PS Where did your Husband shop for the tall faucets and the shower fixtures?

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! My husband won't hire anyone, but he won't do it himself either!!! Beautiful room. Congratulations on the birth of your bathroom!


http://40daysof.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/new-art-and-guidelines-for-picture-hanging/

My Slice of Heaven said...

I love everything about this bathroom. Beautiful designing job. From the vanity to the tub and everything in-between is just gorgeous.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Gorgeous bathroom! Love the tub, vanity lights..just love everything! The attention to detail really makes an impact.

Post a Comment