Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Becoming Barbie...well, kind of


Have you entered the world of Barbie? I don't mean the dolls themselves but rather the movies. Barbie and the Island Princess, or Barbie in Fairytopia, or Barbie as The Princess and the Pauper. Some are better than others, and we have experienced more than one road trip where my husband has threatened to throw the portable DVD player out the window if the girls did not turn the volume down. But I must say, Barbie is starting to grow on me, especially with her latest production of Barbie and the Three Musketeers. Part of the reason I am becoming fond of her is only by default...she is better than other teeny bopper stars out there that are weaving their ways through our little girl's lives. But honestly, I have kind of been enjoying Barbies' movies lately.


I spent yesterday afternoon sewing capes and skirts for the girl's three musketeer costumes. They have become obsessed and both are now in "training", karate chopping everything they walk in front of, they have stolen all of Thomas' weapons, and have been telling all of their imaginary opponents "Don't mess with the dress". You have to love a heroine whose moto involves the word "dress", someone who is all about fighting evil but is gonna look good while doing it, someone whose cape has "bling on it" as my sweet Caroline says. I mean seriously, I can totally get behind this.


This world is full of garbage for our girls to wade through. There are plenty of lies lurking for them to believe, lies about who they are and what they are capable of accomplishing. So I am okay with their current play that involves being strong, determined, heroic, cute girls. God did not create us to be passive. We have been created different than man, and I am certainly not implying that I am encouraging my girls to try and become someone that they were not created to be, but we as women do indeed have a place. We have been created to be part of an adventurous story of good and evil. There are lives at stake, causes worth fighting for, and a God that is watching and cheering us on. There is a purpose for the lives of my girls. Though I know it is not to protect the life of the king of France, there is another King that I know they are here to serve. A King that has called them to a great cause and a great adventure. A King that is enjoying their present day childish play, because He also happens to know the future, and He knows that this play is preparing them for what He has called them to do on this earth...fight mightily for His eternal Kingdom. I am just glad that as women we get to wear a pretty dress while we are at battle.


"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have kept the faith" 2 Timothy 4:7



Amy

9 comments:

Jemsmom said...

Amen sister!!!! Tom and I had this talk the other day as we were Prince Nalu, Nori, and Elina from Barbie in Mermaidia. I love that there are videos with strong women who can think their way out of a situation and don't need a man to come to the rescue! You are absolutely right about serving THE King and what an honor it is to watch these girls grow up to serve Him and learn how to fight the good fight along the way looking good to boot!

I love your posts!! They are the best!

Jill said...

My daughter, who will be 4 soon, is obsessed with her Barbie movies! We have the Three Musketeers too. She's always looking for something long and sword-like and then she yells "Don't mess with the dress!" Love that line! HA! I think her favorite Barbie movie is The Diamond Castle.

sara said...

What a lovely post! Our little girl is just shy of 2, so we are still all about Elmo/Sesame Street right now. Much to my husband's chagrin, I'm sure the Barbie and Disney princess phase will hit sooner than we think!

Charity said...

How lovely that you are so supportive of who your daughters are and are willing to let them role play in many differnet ways. So many moms I am see only have one vision of their daughters and do not want to allow the girls to work out who they are. My girls are totally different from one another and from my husband and I. I love watching them learn who they are and how they can use their gifts for God. Isn't it such a blessing that God allowed us this time with his children.

Cha Cha

I hope you are finding the Beth Moore study wonderful, I am and discovering things that I would have never even guessed. I will come away from this changed, I know.

Unknown said...

I think it's great that Barbie is at the moment one of their faves, you are are right all to often we have the Bratz dolls, or some other unflattering girl role model in the place of something that could be more amazing. Little girls need to learn morals and being respectful, but a good cape with bling is always in order!

rachel blazer said...

we haven't watched the movies, but my caroline (almost 4) has been checking the books out of the library by the armload! seriously- i might die if i have to read them one more time! but i agree that there are worse role models- thank goodness she's not into bratz!
have a great day,
rachel

Liz Barnett said...

So glad my girls are not the only ones running around the house acting like ninjas :)

Elizabeth said...

I love this post...

Morgan said...

Visiting for the first time from Rhoda's...

As a mother of three girls (6, 3, 18 mos), I completely identify with the search for wholesome pretend play characters for my girls. I cannot, absolutely cannot stand the Bratz dolls. They do not come in this house :) I'm even borderline with Barbie and the Disney Princesses as something tells me there are better choices out there yet to be found (American Girls?). But I have to agree with the above comment from Cha-Cha, that we cannot box our children into our narrow vision for them, but instead, ask the Lord for His vision, and then gently guide in that direction. And if a little bit of Barbie/Princess pretending grows them, as you said into mighty women that answer His Kingdom call...I'm all for that...especially if it involved bling and dressing up! :)

Loving your blog, I can tell it will become a go-to read for me :)

Post a Comment