Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Back to touring with built-ins: some white, some black

There are few earthly things that make my cute carpenter husband happier than trim, big screen TVs and saving money by doing something himself. When these three things come together for him it is like the perfect storm, for better or for worse. I will get to the worse later... for now let's look at the better. Oh yeah, and if you are joining over here for the first time, I am on tour with my house and I am honored you are here. I know it sounds strange, and I can promise you we are moving at a snails pace due to my very short attention span...but you can read why I am touring here.

This fireplace surround is a better. It started with only the black stone around the opening of the fireplace, and my cute carpenter added the trim. I love a fire, I prefer a real one, but will settle for gas. This is indeed a real fireplace, but was converted to gas by the previous owners. Unfortunately, when it is lit we all come close to death by carbon monoxide poisoning so I am currently just settling for the glow of candles in the fireplace.
Here is another better, my family room built-in that the hubby designed and built me. It's pretty, efficiently holds some of my favorite things, and is wired for lights...love it.
Some of my favorites...
I own every 50% off Hobby Lobby frame they sell. Caroline in my wedding veil...can. not. deal.
Kevin's grandfather found all of these arrow heads around a lake on his property. He spent his time finding them, he made the frame, and then put it all together...the perfect gift.
The kids books. They must beckon to be pulled from the shelf as rarely a day goes by when they haven't been flung about the floor...just as they should.
I told you we would get to the worse...nothing says quaint and charming like a movie screen in your family room. Who doesn't want to walk into a room and feel they are being overtaken by a television? I'll tell you who, my husband. He loves it. He loves everything about it. He refuses to attempt to hide or draw attention away from unsightly things like TVs. To him, they are not unsightly, so why attempt to mask them?
Here is the shelf before he redid it...
And the "improved" after? I will let you decide...
There you have it, my carpenter's three creations in our family room. Come back tomorrow and I will show you the rest of our family room.

Until then,

Amy

23 comments:

C.J. said...

I think you should thank God you have a husband that can and will do all of those things. If he wants a ginormous tv oh well small price to pay... lol

Jemsmom said...

Oh my, does your husband have some talent or what?!? My husband loves to have the idea of it, but in the true engineering sense is a perfectionist and will plan it out for 2 years, build it in 6 months, and tweak it for another 2 years!! That mantel is stunning, and I do mean stunning! We had an overmantel built to put the new toy (a LED 45 in. that is replacing the 65 in. monster t.v) in. Now I think we are going to have a built in book case/ entertainment center built in to house the t.v. as our living room isn't ideal. I will post some pics on my blog and get your opinion! I actually started one so you will have to click on my name and check it out. I don't know if I need to make the pictures bigger or what, but I am trying! I have a picture of Jemma in my veil and it is totally a CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT! Too funny!

Design A-Peele said...

those are gorgeous! just love them! I liked the coffee cozies too :) can't wait to make them!

duchess said...

Wow, what great changes. Around here, I'm the one with all of the ideas & with a hubby who has a tough work schedule - that's all I get....ideas.
Love seeing yours come to fruition, though. That picture is too cute.

Jill said...

Everything looks so nice! Love the pic of your daughter in your veil. My daughter just tried on my veil the other day. Why didn't I get a pic? I might have to copy that. :-) I wish I had a built set of shelves like that for family pics & etc. Hmmmmm. I wonder if my engineer husband has any hidden carpenter skills? ;-)

Amy S. Norris said...

i am sure you have seen the pictures of what piece of loveliness looms over our fireplace in the den. who could miss it? i cannot stand to have it on, whereas when my hubby is home it is always on. grrrrr.

Anonymous said...

TV's...bigger the better...must be a 'man thing' :) Beautiful built-ins. I love the coziness of it all. Can't wait for the rest...

Tammy@Fear Not said...

I'm amazed! The difference is incredible! Keep'em the pictures coming.

Shannon said...

hey amy! i would love to know how you did the back of the built - ins - looks like leather? maybe a tutorial?

Mrs. Mama said...

I LOVE the things you have done! Everything looks great, I am jealous.

The Fab Five said...

It all looks great! Even the big tv!! Kiss your carpernter!

The Fab Five said...

oops... that was carpenter

California Wife said...

Thanks for commenting over at CAwife! Love your blog too, I'm now following so I can read more!

sara said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I'm so glad that you did, because that allowed me to discover yours - and I love it! Your home is beautiful and that husband of yours is phenomenal ... do you hire him out? Any chance he'd want to swing by our house? :) I'm going to be sure to follow along so I can read more about your cute family. (Oh, and yes, everyone should want to be a Kentucky girl! :))

Elizabeth said...

your fireplace is awesome. perfection.

Grace and Beauty said...

I'm so glad to find your blog. I've read through your posts and loved it.
Blessings,
Cyndi

Unknown said...

Found your blog over at Magically Ordinary and love it!!! How fantastic... love the built-ins! Fantastic!!

Look forward to more! My husband and I really enjoy rennovating houses so this is so much fun!!!

Unknown said...

It's very nice to meet you as well hun. Thank you for stopping by my blog, so that i could in turn find yours.

This husband of yours is VERY handy!!! He did an amazing job renovating your living room. I will definitely be back tomorrow for the continued tour. Have a wonderful day :)

Christina said...

So glad you found my blog. Your is beautiful! Can't wait to read more!

Virginia Belle said...

Love your blog! Your home is absolutely beautiful and you are so lucky to have such a talented husband. I especially love the fireplace and classic mantel. I cannot wait to see more :)

meredith said...

i am sooooo jealous of your husband's carpentry skills!! i also have the vision, just not the skill!!

Dear Lillie said...

First, thank you so much for visiting our blog! Secondly, I LOVE yours! I am so excited to follow it! That photo of your daughter in your veil is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

katherine said...

Thanks for stopping by today. Your home is lovely! I absolutley love your mantel!! The black and white candle sticks are the perfect touch. I love little accents of black and white throughout a home.

Post a Comment