Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Was he too proud or too prejudice?


Remember here when I asked you to help me name our new puppy? Well, deep down I had already named him and I was just seeing if anyone was going to give me the right answer. Not really, just kidding...kind of. As luck would have it, no one gave me what I perceived to be the "correct answer", and so I finally caved and let my cute carpenter name him what he wanted to name the dog: Ty. Are you ready for my confession? He is just not a Ty. I thought he might be a Ty and I thought that I could get on board and I thought I would be okay with it, but I am just not. I feel this weight on me every time I look at those big, distinguished eyes of his. It is as if he is pondering why I am denying him his proper title. Every time I call his name, I feel obligated to offer him an unspoken gesture of apology for calling him by the wrong name. He always wags his tail in forgiveness, but deep down he knows it too. It is just simply time that I admit "we" made the wrong choice. So because he is a dog and I think the damage will be minimal, and because I am the weirdest person I know, I am changing my 4 month old golden retriever's name to his rightful one. He will henceforth be known as "Mr. Darcy". And if you do not know who Mr. Darcy is, go order Pride and Prejudice on Netflix right this very instant. And if you are the smarty pants type then go read the book, but I promise that you will be denying yourself the pleasure of watching Mr. Darcy walk through the lingering, morning fog to tell Ms. Elizabeth "you have bewitched me body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you "...seriously, rent the movie. And then you tell me that you too do not desire to name someone or something Mr. Darcy....I would change my husband's name if he would let me.


Amy

16 comments:

Nicole said...

LOVE the name change! I too am a HUGE fan of Pride and Prejudice, both the book and movie...And, Mr. Darcy...well enough can't be said about him; perhaps someday I will find my own "Mr. Darcy"! ;)

Christina said...

That's awesome! LOL! Mr. Darcy suits him I think. :)

Lauren said...

Your furry Mr. Darcy is adorable, and probably appreciates the wonderful name switch! :)

emily freeman said...

Love it. And? That dog is huge. Isn't he supposed to be a puppy? I'll have to send you the photo I took of him when you brought him over. He was a baby then and now he's a teenager.

Jessica said...

What a great name for your puppy! :-) Which movie do you mean? There are several. ;-) I think I've seen about 4 movie versions and read the book at least a couple of times. I'm a real Jane Austen fan. Haha My favorite P&P movie is the 90s BBC production. Very true to the book.

sara said...

I think Mr. Darcy is the perfect fit your your adorable pup! (Do you think you might get another pup down the road and name her Elizabeth?! That would be cute, but two mischievious puppies - agh!). I adore that movie, have seen it several times, and the final scene in the fog is one of my favorite movie scenes EVER.

Stacey said...

Mr. Darcy! I love it! If you love Pride and Prejudice, try watching Lost in Austen! I loved it also!

Jenn @ CozyCompanion said...

oh this is such a luscious post to read ;) hehe. I love it! I am smiling HUGELY as I adore that movie and the story you shared is just so cute! Thanks ;) hugs, Jenn

the cape on the corner said...

i see no problem whatsoever in changing your dogs name to his "rightful" one. when we adopted our cat, her name was missy. missy. that could be my sister (if i had one) or my friend. it is not, to me, a cat name. so at 4 years old, i changed her name. i have had no problems, she comes when i call her, and i think her name, sunday, suits her much better.

Ruth H. said...

I absolutely think you've done the right thing! Of COURSE you must have the opportunity in your life to refer to someone as Mr. Darcy. My heart jumps into my throat just reading that line..."You have bewitched me body and soul....." The only thing better is the very last line of the movie, "Mrs. Darcy...." Oh! Be still my heart!

Between You and Me said...

LOVE it.

Liz Barnett said...

Can you believe I have never seen the movie?! I might rent it tonight :)

ntignor said...

I love it, glad you made the change. Is Liz my daughter and your sister or what? I hope she rents that movie tonight!!!

Jemsmom said...

Too funny! I just knew you were going to say Maximus!!!! He is getting so big so fast! I have read so many books in my life, but I must admit I haven't ever seen it. Even after watching You've Got Mail 750 times, you would think I would watch it, but I haven't it. I am on a mission now!

Michelle DeRusha said...

Ok first of all, I love, love the name Mr. Darcy -- it suits him. He is debonnaire in that way! Love Pride and Prejudice.

Secondly, thank you for linking me to the Tiny Hands site. I hadn't heard of it -- I can't believe it's based right here in Lincoln!

carolyn said...

Amy- I am thrilled!! Because on the inside, I was a teeny bit sad that his name was Ty. (so, you see, you're not the only one who's weird!).

Love his new name- it's been waiting for him all along.

Post a Comment