Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Discerning His Voice

This might have been the best part of my recent trip: a breakfast smoothie by the pool, looking over the side at nothing but ocean, and a good book. My husband was sitting next me with some awful book in his lap, something about guns, the mafia, and witness protection programs...not my choice of a good read. I told him "don't come crying to me when you are not able to discern the voice of God". He rolled his eyes.

How about you, have you read Priscilla's book? I am almost done with it, and I must say that it has been a needed read in this phase of my life. The phase of life when you are busy raising little ones that are always busy, thus making my "life equation" equal busy all the time. The phase of life when if you don't get in the shower before 5:30 am, it is likely that your body will never see water that day. The phase of life where you are constantly needed by a lot of little people that are all moving in different directions. You know the phase, right? It also happens to be the phase where I have found it difficult to hear the voice of God. Now please do not misunderstand, this is my problem and not God's. He is there, He is always there...the problem is that sometimes I am the one not present. I am too often anywhere and everywhere other than in God's presence; quiet, still and humble. And after awhile I start to long to here His voice and I begin to slow my days so that I might hear it. If I don't, I will eventually drown under all the stuff that has risen to the top of a false priority list. I begin to clearly see that stopping and slowing is the only way to really survive, to really hear the voice of God.

Amy

10 comments:

The Starr Family said...

I do intend to read it now... and I want to tell you, your readership here grows because you speak the truth and give glory to God. With the platform you have been given, you please Him in praising His name! I know you are a real person with real struggles, but your straightforward honesty and love shine Amy... thanks for the accountability and realness!

Tammy@Fear Not said...

I've been thinking on the exact same thing...how discernment is so very needed and yet it's lacking in many ways among His body. I'm thankful you brought this subject up because we really do need to discern His voice which also enables to discern when it's NOT His voice, but that of the Enemy. Good stuff. I may have to read this book. My summer reading list is growing. :)

Mrs. Plank said...

I really need this. I have been having a very hard time discerning lately. I have so many important decisions to make and can't quiet my mind enough to seek out His voice. That inner confirmation in my soul is missing right now. I will check this book out. Thank you!

blair said...

We are doing this in Bible study right now, and we all LOVE it! Priscilla is so amazing at breaking it all down and guiding her readers through the process of slowing down and listening and seeking Him.

Between You and Me said...

read it and LOVED it! I love everything she's written!

CafeAngelica said...

I so appreciate your sweet words. It makes me feel great to hear "i love your blog". And it is a pleasure to meet you! I hope you will stop back by any time! I'll put the coffee on~
BTW- your blog is precious. I'll be back for a visit.

Kristi said...

I think I definately need to read this! Thank you for blogging about it! I have twin boys who are 9 and a 22 month old baby girl. Life is BUSY! :)
Kristi

Farmgirl Paints said...

I think I might have to get it. I completely identify with what you said. I have been so busy and just off doing my thing and haven't really heard His voice that much. Great post.

Mary said...

What a great reminder to remember what is best in life!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I did a whole study of the book last summer! It was wonderful. We had Priscilla's tapes...she is an amazing speaker!

It really strengthened my realtionship with the lord...I learned to listen more closely and hear his voice!

Thanks for sharing!
Cathy

Post a Comment