Friday, January 8, 2010

Yep, I like it!

Image from Pottery Barn

I despise accessorizing in 2 areas: bookshelves and mantles. They drive me nuts. They are often focal points of rooms, the first place your eye is drawn and I can't deal with the pressure of it all. Oh the problems of the OCD. I usually default to just copying what Pottery Barn does, or at least be inspired by something they have done, it takes away the mental strain. I really like this yummy, crisp little grouping they came up with here...so I took down the old family portrait that made me feel a little like an egomaniac and I scrounged up some candlesticks and got to work.

The topiaries used to stand alone on the mantle, and they looked alone. Now they have friends; a lovely mirror, painted candles (my most favorite accessory) and finials. It's crisp, it's non-committal, it's a lot of black and white, I like it.

Yep, I really like it.
Linking up with The Nester today for her mantel party!

PS- My fingers are struggling to type these words. I mean, can it be true? How can it be true? How can it be that after 3ish years of remodeling, we are done. Oh yes my friends, we are done. Inside and out. And anything that has taken so much of any humans time should be recorded for the sake of remembering why we will never do it again. You heard me cute carpenter...I said never! Please come back starting next week and join me for a look back at the insanity, the tears, the blood, the gnashing of teeth. There will be lots of pictures, lots of I wish we hadn't done that, and a lot of can you believe my husband built that?!?!? Maybe you will leave inspired or maybe you will just leave. Either way, I hope to see you again next week for a tour.

26 comments:

Melanie said...

I love the new mantle accessories! Especially the curvy mirror. Very cute. Do you get the Ballard Designs catalog? Lots of inspiration in there!

HouseMama said...

It looks wonderful. You should link up to The Stories of A to Z's blog (if you haven't thought of that already!) for her "mantelscape" linky party on Fridays.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Elizabeth said...

Looks great! I face a problem mantle since my sweet love decided to have the TV installed right smack over the mantle. Love Pottery Barn!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!

HouseMama said...

Here's the blog I was speaking of. I couldn't remember how I came across your blog and thought perhaps it was through Beth's.

The Stories of A to Z.
http://www.bethcrabtreehunter.blogspot.com

Hopefully I've attached her website correctly. (Let me know if I haven't.) I think you'll enjoy her blog - she's a Christian too. Beth is having a linky party each Friday on mantels and of course, I thought your's would be a great one to add. :) Have a wonderful weekend!

gretchen said...

Amy,
I LOVE your blog!! I am a Southerner ripped from home and transplanted into the ugliness of California tract housing. The photos of your home make me want to weep. It is lovely, as is your family. Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing with me.
Blessings,
Gretchen

ntignor said...

Love it, come to my house!

Kelly said...

I love it, too! Can't wait to see your renovation pictures. I need the nspiration- we are in your shoes and I need the inspiration:-)

Jen said...

Amy, I adore your site which I divinely stumbled onto today! ;) and it looks like you're wrapping up a huge house project wow! I enjoyed this post and the latest one! reminds me of Camelot -princess style in a few photos, you captured it well! I always thought topiaries were gorgeous! I look forward to gracing the pages of your site another day. Your site motto is so perfect and my heart aligns with it so much right now on this love journey, as I'm learning to play out my passions! ;) Thank you for the confirmation here today, such a blessing! take care, Jenn

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I'm so glad HouseMama had my back on this one because your mantelscape is gorgeous. Love those painted candlesticks. I too was inspired by that PB mantel. We both must have felt it needed some green. (I added a bunch of topiaries and green accents to mine.) I hope you'll link up again in the future!

Catherine said...

Your mantle is beautiful! Did you paint the candles yourself? I never thought of that. I'm new to your blog but I will be checking to see your other projects becuase this one inspires me!

Julia Feitner said...

I stopped by from Beth's. I simply LOVE your mantle - so good job on swallowing the fear and tackling it. It's GORGEOUS!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This looks great! I love the painted candles! I'm going to have to see about getting some of them.

Magic Brush said...

Your mantle looks great! Not my fav to decorate either tho! I think they are hard!!!

Miki said...

Looks amazing! Miki

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

Beautiful! I just love that mirror!

-Grace

Simple Home said...

It turned out wonderful. 3 years of remodeling! I'm really impressed.
Blessings,
Marcia

Blondie's Journal said...

It's hard to believe you had problems with your mantel before (although I guess I do identify) because it looks so beautiful now!! You did a fabulous job. I love the shape of the mirror and the topiaries certainly don't look alone now! it all looks very balanced and pretty! Love it!

xoxo
Jane

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Beautiful mantle Amy! I like the painted candles too!

Charity said...

Why didn't I just know this was yours, it screams you, that is why I love it so much. You have such chic taste and I love it all.

Cha Cha

Sandra said...

Gorgeous mirror and I love all your candlesticks too! Come say hi.

Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

That mirror is awesome and you did a great job with that area.

:) Michelle

Ashley said...

I am obsessed with your mantle and I am now OBSESSED with your blog! We have such similar taste--in EVERYTHING! I'm a new reader!

xoxo,

Ashley L.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

So beautiful!! Love your mantel!!!
-Trish

Jean said...

it's a very classic and elegant look, very nice! loving to look at ALL these mantels!

MarytheKay said...

Oh, I LOVE it! Just stopping over from the mantle party. Thanks for letting me take a peek at your lovely home. I look forward to coming back next week to see the pictures of your newly decorated home!

Post a Comment