Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The room at the end of the hall...

C. S. Lewis wrote to his Godchild after writing her the story "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and said, "My Dear Lucy, I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books". I have had the same realization now that we have completed our playroom. Little girls grow quickly, and before you know it, they are ducking their heads as they walk through the door of our playhouse.
There is so much to love about this room. For starters, I love that my husband was willing to tear off the roof of half of our house in order to "go up" with a playroom addition. I love that I told this cute carpenter of mine that I would really like some kind of built in house in the playroom, and he said, "okay, let's make it two stories high". I love that when it was all done, I needed power to the upstairs of the playhouse to hang white lights, and so he spent a late night pulling power for me.

I love that I ignored the sensible part of my brain that was telling me not to paint anything on those walls, because one day I would have to paint over it...which of course I will, but who cares. I am not an artist, I wing everything I do, but my girls do not know the difference in art that "real artists" create, and the sketches that their mom creates, so who cares. It's child-like and fun and my kids are only children in a playroom for a very short amount of time.

I love that they love to play in it. I hear a lot of people say that their children will not play in playrooms...I have not had that experience. My kids play hard in this room.

I love that they would rather wear dress-up clothes than real clothes, especially Caroline, but even Ella!


I love that we have a "wall of fame", as my blogger friend Edie calls them.

An aerial view...


You know you want to paint these shoes in your daughter's room, I'm tempted to paint them in my room...

Playing hard...


Sleeping hard after playing hard...

And finally, just keeping it real...See you on Friday...

Amy

7 comments:

HouseMama said...

It's wonderful! What a fun place to play and dream. Great job.

duchess said...

What a great place for the children to play. Good job & the painting looks nice too.

Jemsmom said...

Well of course, I am loving that!!! Gives me lots of ideas for our playroom! We just moved to South Carolina and I am struggling with decorating our new house. We had my dream home in Michigan and I seriously thought we would live there forever. Now we are in a lovely house, but I am not IN LOVE with it. Looking at your awesome pictures has given me some inspiration! Especially this precious playroom. You have a gift! I also love the "for real" stuff cause let's face it... that is what life is!!! You rock!

Amy S. Norris said...

yay for keeping it real! that is what my child's room looks like the majority of the time and i fight my personality to let this happen. who wants their child to grow up and say, "i just remember always having to clean my room" instead of "i had so much fun playing." i know there is a fine-line, but like you said....they grow up way too fast. why not let it go for a little while?

on another note - i am loving the tour. i enjoy it in the morning with my coffee and then later in the day when my hubby comes home so he can see. :)

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

My whole life as a mom I've wanted a playroom for my kids! This is an awesome room!!!! Everything is so cute! And when your kids get older, you can just make changes to the room. They'll still play in there. :)

Becca Bertotti said...

LOVE it !! Your kids are so lucky to have such a fun place to laugh in, create in, and destroy in !! I think the last pic is my fave because it truly shows that they have a blast in there !! If we were neighbors, my Jax would love to hide in the playhouse, for sure !! Hugs, Becca

Amy S. Norris said...

oooooh. you keep calling me out! i know. btw the shazaam and opening orders things have been a bit nuts today. however, being up all night with the storms i think i got some inspiration. maybe a post today. :)

ps - we would be great "in-person" friends. sure you don't want to move to lovely old jackson, mississippi (i am choking on my coffee as i say that - yes, coffee at 11 i was up all night)?

Post a Comment