Monday, January 18, 2010

We have a bathroom in our family room

Are you bored yet? Do you leave this tour looking like this...I'm kind of getting bored. But regardless, I will push on for the sake of recording this remodel. I think that years down the road I will be glad I did.
Moving right along, let's look back at one of the first rooms we did: the downstairs bathroom. There was a lot of floral wallpaper, a bit too "rain forest-like" for me, so I pulled it down. I would like to thank the previous owners for not putting the paper up properly because it did not come down well at all. I do not know much about wallpaper, but I think there is some kind of pre-goop stuff that you are supposed to put on the wall to make it come down easier later, should you ever choose to take it down. Which of course you one day will. Wallpaper dates itself pretty fast in my opinion, even the nice, fancy, traditional stuff...but that is just my opinion.


Another problem with this bathroom is that it is literally right off the family room. No hallway, no wall, no barrier; just you on a toilet, a door, and then everyone else on the other side of the door watching TV and listening to you in the bathroom. Do you get what I am saying? It's weird.
The cute carpenter wanted to move everything around and fix the issue, but I convinced him that it was not that big of a deal and it would be convenient for potty training our children. So we left it, and now we regret it. We gutted the existing space by ripping out the old vanity, toilet, and then sledge hammering out the tile and concrete underfloor.

I have so many questions for this picture. Like why did I let my kids sit this close to the hardwood floor installation? Why is there a tea cup on the one of the wood planks ? Why does the cute carpenter not have shoes on?
Here is what it looks like now...

There is great reading material available for the girls...
And if you do not feel like reading, then you can just leave the door open and watch TV, as this is the view from the throne. Can you deal with that?!?!?

Clearly, we should have dealt with this issue before remodeling. Though I hate to say it, the cute carpenter has a game plan to remedy this problem, it just involves more dust and work. So for now we will just enjoy the convenience of it all, and dread the inevitable day that is coming when my husband can't deal with it anymore.
PS- I recently found some awesome children's clothing. My new friend Amy over at Brownie Goose has re-opened her blog for ordering. This is great news for all of us! Her fabrics are fabulous and her patterns are unlike any that I have seen. Check her out, she will not disappoint!

Amy

10 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm not getting bored at all! I love before and afters!

{edie} said...

Oh Amy I love it. And I really love the dainty tea cup sitting right amidst the dust and rubble! Have a great week.
hugs,
edie

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I think it looks great. I think it's convenient but I see your issues with it being right off the family room. I was laughing about your questions about the first photo. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

Becca Bertotti said...

Amy, you crack me up !! I love your witty posts about your GO-JUS remodeling. Your "new" bathroom is sooo beautiful ... love the dresser vanity, the mirror, the view of the TV ... everything !! You're work is very inspiring. Take care, Becca (Adventures in Decorating)

Kelly said...

Bored? No way! Keep the pictures coming- it is so fun and inspiring:-)

Amy S. Norris said...

oh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for the shout-out. sorry for the delay, my house was hit yesterday by what we call the "shazaam" in our family. the stomach bug that literally leaves you wondering what kind of truck just ran you over.

on another note, i cracked up at the pic of your husband installing floors barefoot with the girls "helping." reminds me of how my husband always gets on to me in projects when i wear my flip-flops. :)

Anonymous said...

What a pretty redesign! You did a great job on it. I actually think it's rather convenient that you can watch TV if you choose. :-) Thanks for stopping by.

Jemsmom said...

Never bored!!! Love the style in the bathroom and I totally get that you can't stand it by the family room! My friend's house is like that and every time I go to the bathroom, I turn the fan on just so everyone doesn't hear me!! I am sure they still do, but it makes me feel better! Your built in for the t.v. is AMAZING!!! Did the cute carpenter build that? We are about to have a built in done and the only thing that worries me is that my furniture will forever then fit one way and one way only!

Anonymous said...

wow, I absolutely love that entertainment cabinet/unit that you have! Did you guys build that as well? What a great transformation to your powder room - I agree, wallpaper would have driven me mad - that pattern actually reminded me of one we had when I was a kid...

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

These previous owners liked yellow in their wallpaper, didn't they? The powder room looks great, but I understand what you're saying. My powder room is in between our small den and kitchen. I live in the house and I won't use it if there are people over!

Post a Comment