Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Loosing my grip, that I never really had

I interrupt this house tour to bring you a more important memory worth recording...

I told you she was scrumptious. l also told you here that I was hanging onto four for dear life, and that her first loose tooth was doing the same thing. She is the last four year old little girl that will grow up in my house, and oh how I wish she would stay right at the exact age she is right now. Big girl ways seem to suit Ella more, but four fits Caroline perfectly...not five, or six, but four.

Well five is right around the corner and her tooth will not be here to celebrate with us. My husband likes to follow the tradition of his father and allow the girls to leave the tooth fairy notes under their pillow to accompany the tooth. The girls must use tiny hand writing because the fairies are so small, and then the fairies of course always write back in really tiny handwriting due to the size of their hands. Caroline left the tooth fairy a note asking her what her name was and then also requesting $5. Due to the cuteness level of the whole thing, and the fact that it came from an innocent heart, the tooth fairy reluctantly complied only because it was her first tooth...and promised her next visit would not be as lucrative for Caroline.

So the perfect little girl smile is gone and the slow and steady march to braces is upon us. It is not the crooked smile that bothers me, but the era that it represents. Actually, it is not even what lies ahead, but rather what we are leaving that I know I can never get back.

Amy

PS- Will you allow me to make a random statement to someone in blogger world? If you are "Jemsmom" please know that I have loved hearing from you but I have seen no way to get back in touch with you. I have wanted to reply to you lots of times, but I don't know how! I just wanted you to know that.
Love,
Amy

19 comments:

emily freeman said...

ok, the tiny handwriting thing is too cute. love it. And I can't believe she's lost a tooth. My girls both have one loose tooth. I'm hoping they dont' come out til they're 12. We'll see.

Anna Newman said...

sweetest!!!! we may actually steal the small handwriting idea, that is adorable.

southerninspiration said...

oh, she is just adorable!!! I LOVE the photo in her red coat!
Tiny writing and asking for $5.....melts my heart!

suzanne

sassy seamstress said...

awww! i feel your pain!

Dawn said...

oh the sweet toothless smile... and how "big" they feel to finally ahve a visit from the tooth fairy! but i get the hanging on... and the wanting to halt time. my baby just turned 13... and what i wouldn't give for his toothless smile to shine at me again!

Becca Bertotti said...

That is just toooo cute !! I love reading your eloquent posts ... your baby girl is just adorable. I can see why you'd want to hold onto four "for"ever !! My little guy turns 4 next month ... just don't understand where the time went. I look forward to you continuing your house tour !! Hugs, Becca

Amy said...

This post is so precious. I have a 7 year old that just lost her first tooth right before Christmas. Now she has three gone and two loose. I am not sure how she is going to eat pretty soon. I also have a four year old in my house that I want to stay little forever. I love the tooth fairy story. Thanks for sharing.

Jemsmom said...

Hi there!!!! Thanks for your note!!! I have to start a blog so I can hang with all the cool people!!! My home email is tomnkatsc@gmail.com and I am Kathryn Ferraro on Facebook. Your posts are truly inspiring to me. I love how you write letters to your girls and it has made me start my own journal for my Jemma. You have such a way with words. We seem very similar in so many ways. I think we would be very good friends! I would love to hear from you any time!

The tooth... how precious is that. I love when you share your little traditions like the tiny handwriting! That is the best! We will be doing that! I always love to hear what others do as I try to start our own family traditions. She looks adorable, but again, why do our babies have to grow up????

Jemsmom said...

By the way, I have probably seen You've Got Mail a gazillion times!!! It is great!!! Have you ever watched the original with Judy Garland? Classic!

Michelle DeRusha said...

This is such a sweet post. And I absolutely love the pictures -- she is a doll with that gappy grin!

ntignor said...

Oh my, this could rip out Nana's heart. You will get use to this age thing, I did, but it hurts. Just think of me, my baby is having her last baby anytime, WOW! Love those pictures,she is one precious grandaughter.

Deidra said...

I love this! The red coat! The tiny handwriting! The promise of less lucrative experiences to come! So sweet...so very sweet!

Becca Bertotti said...

Thanks for your note. I really am excited for this year with Jax !! Considering he is, and will be, my only child, I want to savor EVERY moment !! (Love the tooth fairy note idea, too ... might have to borrow.) -Becca

Heidi of Operation Organization said...

So sweet - she's a doll! I've got a 4 (going on 8 with his macho attitude that he sports sometimes!!) year old in my home too.

It's amazing that we are entrusted with these beautiful charming people that have so much to teach us about ourselves if we let them.

Gayle said...

Hug her tightly. She's a beautiful child. I shared your exact sentiments when my baby's teeth started falling out. Seems like yesterday, but she just turned 24. Sigh.

Beth said...

She IS scrumptious. :) The tiny writing to and from the tooth fairy is perhaps one of the cutest things I've ever heard- I'm filing it away in my "if I have kids file." :)

Scooper said...

I cried over every baby tooth my daughter lost. No lie. I got pictures taken before missing teeth so that I could cling {probably too tightly} to those days. I hear you!

Traci Michele said...

Oh she is so so so very cute! Okay, scrumptious!

Hugs to you!

Traci

carolyn said...

I found you through Chatting with the Sky and LOVE your house tour!!!!

But when I read this post...I had to comment- my son wrote to the tooth fairy too and also requested $5. She reluctantly agreed- and in teeny tiny handwriting let him know this was for the 1st tooth only! We're now at the stage where the 2 front teeth are starting to grow back in....and the end of "little kid-dom" is drawing close. Oh, how sad my heart is...but how much joy I know is yet to come!

Enjoy the end of four & and thanks for such fun while reading your blog!

Post a Comment