Friday, January 15, 2010

Yeah baby, we did that (well, we did most of it)!

Welcome to day 3 of this silly little tour thing I'm doing. Here is where we started...
This is what the cute carpenter convinced me I could do, gut a kitchen...we actually saved a lot of money doing the demolition ourselves, but why the heck am I smiling?


We almost killed the cute carpenter's best friend by not turning off the power before we started gutting the place (not really Cici, no gasping). Also, why do I have Clorox bleach out on the counter? What was I trying to clean and why?

This is how we roll...

Getting closer. An addition was added out the back of the existing kitchen...



Cabinets go in...

The cute carpenter found a local manufacturer of hardwood floors. We bought them out of the back of a warehouse and skipped the middle man. He also skipped paying for installation. I was his "layout assistant" and I didn't get paid a dime.

Oh how I love this kitchen.




Here are some of my favorite details that I would highly recommend:


A farm sink. Excellent for bathing babies.


ALL lighting on dimmers. Love the mood lighting!

Modello masking patterns. I applied a decorative finish instead of tile or granite. It was radically cheaper and I think it is unique and beautiful. I topped off the finish with a troweled on layer of wax. The surface is completely washable.

More faux finishes and appliances that cost less than a quarter of the retail price...

This is one of my most favorite kitchen spots. I call it my coffee bar and it is a great place to be at 5:30 am every morning.


A little Nester shout out..have you tried making your Nester tassel yet? Here is my first. I love it in my kitchen and I am already addicted to the whimsical awesomeness of this accessory.

Have a wonderful weekend. See you on Monday!


Amy

26 comments:

HouseMama said...

Oh my. It's absolutely gorgeous. I might actually cook if my kitchen looked like that. ;)

Becca Bertotti said...

Hey Amy, I'm new to blogging and to your blog. All I can say is ... INCREDIBLE !! Your kitchen is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. And, the fact that you guys did most of it yourselves is even more special. I love the colors, details, chandies ... everything. (And, love your tassel, too ... big fan of Nester's site, but haven't attempted to make a tassel of my own ... yet!). Stop by sometime, Becca (Adventures in Decorating)

Catherine said...

It's so beautiful. I would love to live here. It must mean so much having done it all yourself!
Great work!

Amy S. Norris said...

ummmmm, you aren't kidding around when you say "reno." makes my comsmetic issues, ripping out of tiles and walls look petty. you go girl. one day how fun would it be if i made it to NC and was a guest at your coffee bar (i am addicted to it all)....just not at 5:30 am. :)

Kelly said...

Stunning! Absolutely beautiful, and how amazing that you did it yourselves. You are encouraging me as we embark on a smaller scale reno of our kitchen...I am sure i will back many times looking at your pictures for inspiration:-)

Love the tour- thanks for sharing!!

Robyn said...

love your kitchen!!! looks fabulous!!

Elizabeth said...

I am enjoying this tour wow you guys are amazing!! We are doing our own remodeling but it doesn't involve demolition mostly paint :) It is gorgeous and I LOVE the details and that kitchen sink!

sassy seamstress said...

you were smiling because it was just the beginning!

Melissa Stover said...

your home is beautiful. you are both so talented!

Magic Brush said...

I think I have those exact chandeliers over my island too! But I don't have the rockin' granite!!!!! Or the sweet red island. Or the Nester tassle. I need to get busy!

Karin Katherine said...

That is gorgeous. I love it! I will have to check out the Modello masking patterns. I had not heard of those before.

Scooper said...

Oh. My. Stars. I read this post and saw the pictures and of course scrolled back like a maniac to see every bit of this remodel. It is simply gorgeous. My jaw dropped when I saw the exterior. I can't believe it's the same house! There is nothing I love more than a good before and after. Can't wait to see the rest.

Amy S. Norris said...

so, not only did i give you a shout-out on my blog, but i also gave you a new post to comment on. hehe.

Sarah said...

Wow...looks stunning! xxx

Jemsmom said...

I am in love with your new kitchen!!! What a fabulous job!!! It is beautiful, classy, and elegant, but so warm and cozy! Perfect for hanging out and enjoying company! Gorgeous!

Mrs. Dunbar said...

wow, your kitchen is amazing!! and i love that you have a smile on your face during the demo, it all paid off, every single detail is gorgeous.

Sarah said...

I'm swooning!!!!

Deidra said...

Oh yes, this kitchen rocks!

C.J. said...

wow! That sums up what I feel about your kitchen. Too bad I can't afford cute carpenter guy/

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

My jaw dropped when I saw your kitchen. The mood lighting is perfect for the ambiance. I love how the feel is very classic, french, and gorgeous. :P

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Just beautiful! I love the white glazed cabinets and the way they play off the dark woods. Pretty, sparkly and open ~ love it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...I actually showed 'my hero' your reno! I think we have the same kitchen and I soooo wanted to make tassels for Christmas:( I love yours. New inspirations!

Kim said...

Love your blog. I've been getting inspitration form it as well as passing it along to my readers: http://www.arch-wood-designs.com/architectural-wood-designs-blog/more-before-and-after.html

Dear Lillie said...

You guys are soooooo incredibly talented! This is the most amazing kitchen! I am so jealous! (In a good way, of course =)

Joy said...

Such a beautiful kitchen. Congratulations.
I love your farm sink. I'm wanting to replace my sink with one, but I have black granite and I'm not sure if that would look right with a white sink.
♥ Joy

Pamela said...

OMG we must be kindred spirits! I so am moving in. Packing up right now! So glad I stumbled upon your blog! Last night when I was reading I did not know who your Handsome Carpenter was!;) Cute! I am so a follower now and The Hubtser will so hate it. We want to soooo badly rip out of tile and old wood floor up front and put down new. You show me we could actually do it and the stairs too! Your kitchen I love and the chandys are just after my heart. The HUbster thought I was crazy putting one over our sink. I think not.

Post a Comment