Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fighting the Good Fight

My heart has been broken this week. While I sit in the comforts of my air conditioning and pick out tile for my new bathroom, there is an orphaned baby named Yaavesh who was lying alone in a shack because his mother is a prostitute in the streets of Nepal. She did not name her child because she said there was no point, "no one would ever be around to call him by a name". While I got in my SUV and drove my children to school, a preacher in Nepal traveled 12 hours on foot to bring two orphaned boys to a home for children and begged that they take them in. Their father was killed and their mother is too impoverished to care for them. Though the home was at capacity, the "father" of the orphanage could not turn away the weeping man and children and so he took them in.

How is someone to process such knowledge? How can anyone fathom such atrocities? I have a hard time even grasping the concept that anyone lives under such conditions. I suppose it is because I am so far removed from it, it is so far from my sight. It is not however, far from the sight of God. He is not far removed from the injustice of it all. In fact, He's right in the middle of it. He does not miss one unjust act committed to a young girl. His eye does not miss the young boys that live orphaned on the side of the road begging for food. He does not turn His watch from the baby that lies abused and abandoned. Isn't He an awesome God to draw near the suffering of His people. He is a God that came to earth to set these captives free....and I want to be a part of that, don't you? I don't want to have a heart that is so hard that I do not react when I hear about such things.

This week, I met a man that is walking what he is talking! His name is Doug and he is the director of Tiny Hands International. I could sit and listen to he and his wife talk for hours. They are the kind of people the bible says 'the earth is not worthy of'. They have committed their lives to serving God by freeing and providing for His children. Tiny Hands International is a small group that helps rescue woman that are being trafficked into slavery and orphaned children in Nepal. I know there are like hmmmm....4 people that read this blog, but I urge you to click on over to http://www.tinyhandsinternational.org/ and see the good fight they are fighting. You can link up there to Doug's blog and get more specific information about the homes they are running in Nepal. You can send Doug an email and he will quickly respond with lots of ways you can make an eternal difference in the life of a desperate soul.

Blessings!

Amy

4 comments:

Lainie said...

Oh Amy thank you for sharing that. I will go to his site as soon as I am home. I am currently reading The Cross and the Switchblade and the Lord is using it and this post to stir-up my heart.

Thank you :)

sassy seamstress said...

based on the title...i thought this was going to be about your incident yesterday at chick-fil-a! :)

Playing Sublimely said...

That was NOT a good fight to fight...and I think I lost! I must right on that soon!

The Fab Five said...

this kind of thing tugs at my heartstrings in a huge way. Thank you for sharing. Since I'm just now "meeting" you, I want to catch up! I have a huge urge to reach out to negleted children. My heart goes out.

Post a Comment