Monday, March 22, 2010

Back to house touring: The master closet

We are finally back to house touring, at least for today. Are you new here? Click here to see why I have put my home on a "house tour". Today I will walk you into our master closet. Are you asking yourself why? You should be. The closet is not all that amazing of a space from a design perspective (it is what it is: a closet); but rather I love that there was not a lot of square footage to work with, a whole lot of stuff to put in, and the cute carpenter somehow pulled it all off...and that makes it worth sharing in my house tour. That and the shoes of course.

We started with floorplanner.com again. Much like our master bathroom remodel, my husband spent a lot of time on floorplanner.com trying to come up with the best use of space. He finally decided on the one you see below, the U-shaped design optimized the square footage.

We used pocket doors all throughout the bathroom and closet, there was simply not enough room to have swinging doors at every entry.
Have you ever stood up on a chair or bed as an attempt to view the lower half of your body in a mirror? We had no full length mirrors in this house so this empty closet wall was the perfect place for one...love it!
This is the back wall in our closet. It was a "dead zone" for a clothes rack, so we recessed it into the master bath on the other side. Do you see those wires hanging through the closet shelves? This is where the cute carpenter pulled the wires for his television in the bathroom, the TV hangs on the other side of this wall.
Ummmmm...can I get an amen?
That Cinderella was a wise lady....
How can a shoe that is so lovely cause so much pain? And why is it that it's owner keeps putting them on her feet?
Yes please.

These are half a size too small, don't care, wear them anyways.
These are the best of both worlds, fabulous and comfortable.
And then when I feel like kickin' it old school, I slide on my Vans. They are literally old school, I bought them in high school.
I'm calling this the strangest post in my tour so far. Thanks for hanging with me through the weirdness.

Amy

15 comments:

Between You and Me said...

love what you've done with the spaces....can't WAIT to have a master closet that's bigger than the one we've got now!

I'm so glad I know about floorplanner now. yay!

And, by the looks of your shoes, you're a fashionista, too!!! We're gonna be great friends.... :)

The Starr Family said...

Closet envy... I must get my hands on a Cinderella sign like that! Love it!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your closet! Great idea to plan it out ahead of time. We used pocketdoors in our master bathroom/closet areas as well so we wouldn't have to worry about losing space just for the doors to open. Love your shoe rack and the sign you have on it!

Tracey said...

Hi Amy--I am a Hokie by marriage--and proud of it!
Your closet space looks amazing.

Corinne Cunningham said...

I'm so in awe of your closet :)

Jemsmom said...

That is brilliant! I am so glad you posted this and what a smart idea to recess that area. The mirror is perfect as I just stood on my bed Sunday morning to see my lower half. Very smart! Your shoes are fabulous! The pain we must suffer to look good!

Kathysue said...

Amy I loved this post. I wish my closet looked as nice. I reallllly loved seeing your shoes,very cute I loved the little flats, I think I need to look for some of those. You were asking me about my green pillow, I got it from Target $24.99 I should have shown the other side also, it is white with the green embroidery so it really is like two pillows in one. So that makes it $12.50 each, right??!!! Have a great day! Kathysue

Noel Solomon said...

Love your shoes :)

Noel

Jill said...

That's an awesome closet and you've got some super cute shoes! Love it all!

beachhouse etc. said...

I am saying amen sista wht a lucky girl u r..thanks for stopping by beachhouseetc. ..still have some glitches to straighten out...but it's the best I can do ....with out having a heart attack i'm not tecnical....have a great day and btw I have always wanted to rip out my closet and start over but our backyard is taking prescedence..im your newest follower...
you r the cutey...suzanne

sara said...

Once again, Amy, your husband astounds me! What a great closet remodel! Your area for shoes is an absolute dream (I love your comments about the different pairs, as well as the fact that you have had your Vans since high school!).

Anonymous said...

oh! lovin the shoes! and my little girl has that same sign hanging over her closet! uh-oh! i might be starting something! hehe!

the cape on the corner said...

ok, i had to comment again. promise i'm not a stalker... love your shoes, especially those flats, but i love me some shoes so that quote is great. but really, i had to write b/c of your vans. i have those same ones in blue, and i literally buy the same exact ones over and over. i think you were onto something with the "my kinda girl" business!

Kirsty said...

One, love the closet. Two, must.share.shoes. Three, my hubs will be terribly jealous of the tv in the bathroom. Four, thanks for visiting! Like you already too!

Sweet Nest said...

Love it! You are awesome! :)

Post a Comment